Just a quick entry today with something helpful for including in your BoS or Grimoires. This is the Laws of Power or Rules of Power used by many Wiccans in their practices. I am an eclectic solitary practitioner, and as such, I take bits from different traditions to combine them into my own. I am a strong believer that keeping the Rules of Power close to your heart will both keep you out of trouble, and enhance the positivity of your practice.
This ‘Law of Power’ relates to your use of spellwork, ritual, and magic within your practice.
Laws of Power
- Power shall not be used to bring harm, injure or control others. If the need arises, the Power shall be used to protect your life or the life of others.
- Power is only used as need dictates.
- Power can be used for your own gain, as long as by doing so you harm none.
- It is unwise to accept money in the exchange of use of the Power, for it quickly controls its taker. Be not as those of other religions.
- Do not use the Power for prideful gain, for such cheapens the mysteries of magic
- Ever remember that the Power is the sacred gift of the Gods, and should never be misused or abused.
This is the Laws of Power
Laws of Power transcribed from Wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner, by Scott Cunningham 1988
Rules? What Rules?
I know, many people may be reading this and wondering…but wait I thought Paganism or Wicca didn’t have rules! What happened to ‘Do as thou will”? Well, many Pagan practices, are really catered to the practitioner. You may find many Pagans whose traditions or personal practice are devoid of all rules. They go with an ‘as the wind moves me’ type of philosophy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that mindset! That just works well for some people. For others, they crave some sort of structure. This is where rules and guidelines come in.
Many believe that personal spirituality shouldn’t be something pushed or overshared with others; while others like to broadcast their beliefs from the rooftops. Rules are sort of this way too. Find what feels comfortable for your own practice, and go with that. Several traditions do have sets of rules by which their practitioners are expected to abide by, and many do not. As a solitary eclectic practitioner, I get to choose what I want to follow and what I don’t (kind of cool right?). For me, the Laws of Power are more of a personal reminder than an actual set of rules. They keep my mind focused when/if I decide to do spell work that not everything is about me, and that perhaps the energies I’m about to move around are best spent in some ways than others. As always, the ultimate choice is yours!
I hope you have found this little snippet helpful, and that it may add something to your personal practice, or at least find a way to your Grimoire as a new learned item!
Love and Light,